Bookmark this page (or add as a "Favorite"), and then click to sign in and download the Dr Paper Mac Disk Image File (DrPaper2020.dmg)
Please note that Dr Paper for the Mac is copyrighted software that requires a valid user license.
If you have not yet purchased Dr Paper for the Mac, you can do so by
In some cases, the security settings on your computer will make it necessary
to press the Control key and click on the Dr Paper 2020 Installer. Choose "Open"
from the context menu to continue installing Dr Paper.
- If you have not done so already, sign in and download
the Dr Paper Disk Image file (DrPaper2020.dmg).
- Open your Downloads folder, and doubleclick on the file named DrPaper2020.dmg.
- The DrPaper2020 virtual disk will now be available in Finder under Devices.
- Click to view the contents of the DrPaper2020 virtual disk, and then double-click on the Dr Paper Installer.
NOTE:If your mac is running the Catalina OS, you will need to drag the Dr Paper 2020 Templates Folder
to your Applications folder.
You do not need to drag the Citation app to your Applications folder. you will be
using https//zbib.org to format
and place your references and intext cites.
When the installation is complete, use Finder to open your Applications folder. You should see a Citation icon.
(If you like, you can drag the Citation app icon to your launchpad, next to the Word icon.)
Note: If Citation is NOT in your Applications folder, just copy the Citation.app file, as well as the
Dr Paper 2020 Templates folder, from the Dr Paper 2020 virtual disk to your
To access your Dr Paper templates directly from Word (rather than Applications):
- Start Word, and click Preferences > File Locations.
- Click Modify, and add the /Applications/DrPaper2020 Templates folder as Workgroup Location.
- Start Word, and open the Document Gallery. Double-click to open the Dr Paper template that you need.
- SAVE the new document with a name.
- Click on the prompts, and enter the appropriate information for your paper:
- Title (capitalize all significant words). Example: Watery Wind: Hurricane Nolan's Impact
- Author (This is you). Example: Lauren A. Winters
- Your school. Example: The Ohio State University
- Course, Instructor, and Date submitted.
- Running heads are no longer required for APA 7th edition papers. If you are required
to provide a paper in APA 6th edition format, you will see a prompt to click and type a running head:
[AN ABBREVIATION OF YOUR TITLE: ALL CAPS]. Example: MEDITATION TRAINING
Double click on the Running head to edit this text.
When you are done, double click on the body of your paper.
Before you begin writing your paper in earnest, scroll down to the last page
of the document, and read the tips for using the templates and the built-in
The Dr Paper Word templates include Styles that make it easy to conform to APA rules
for the way body text, quotations, and section headings should look.
Take a moment now to practice a bit with these Styles. You can delete your practice text
before you begin typing your paper:
- Type a few nonsense sentences. This text is BODY TEXT; it is 12 point Times New roman, double spaced, as it should be for an APA or MLA Paper (there is also a template with Times New Roman, if you prefer that font. Both are acceptable for APA or MLA papers).
- Press Enter so that the cursor is on a blank line
- Click Format, Styles to display the Style dialog. Click the Style called Heading 1.
- Type the word Method, and press Enter.
- Type another sentence. Notice the Style returns to BODY TEXT.
Use the built in Styles for Section Headings, Quotations longer than 40 words, Body text, and
to make sure the Reference List is formatted correctly.
Continue clicking Edit, Add Record until you have entered bibliographic
information for all the works you need to cite in your paper.
- Use Finder to open the Applications folder, and double click on Citation. Citation will start with "No data"
- On the Citation menu, click File, New Datafile, and select a form for your first record. Citation will
display a blank record, or notecard.
- Fill in the bibliographic information, and click File, Save. Give the datafile
for this paper a name, and then click OK.
- Click Edit, Add Record to add another blank form for your next reference.
Sample records for the most typical types of sources:
(More samples are listed at the Help Topic.)
Note the prompts that display when you click in a text area (or field)
that give you examples, showing how information should be entered.
Names, for instance, should be entered like this:
Smith, Jane R.; Wilson, Peter; Jones, M. R.
When you enter author, editor, or translator names in CiteWrite
using these guidelines, the program will be able to format the names
for your citations for APA Intext cites, APA Reference Lists, MLA Footnotes,
MLA Bibliography, Turabian Footnote, OR Turabian Bibliography.
- Put the cursor where you want the intext citation to be placed in your paper.
- Find the notecard in Citation for the work you want to cite,
and click Format, Intext cite in Preview Box.
- On the Preview box, check to make sure the Style is set to
In text cite, Author-Date, APA.
- Click the Copy button.
- In your word processor, click Edit, Paste to insert the cite.
You can find records in Citation by using the Page Up and Page Down
key on your keyboard, or by clicking View, Short List, and double clicking
on any of the entries in the list.
Citation will format your References in APA (or MLA) style, alphabetize
them, and place them in your paper.
- Put the cursor in your paper, where it says "Insert References Here."
- In Citation, click Format, Write Bibliography (Reference List). Make sure the Style is set
to the Style you need (APA or MLA), and make sure the button to
Alphabetize is checked -- and then click OK.
- Go back to your paper, and click Edit, Paste, Match Formatting to write the Reference List
for your paper.
You can use Citation to format References in any application
(e.g., PowerPoint, iPages) on the mac.
Creating Turabian or MLA footnotes/endnotes
If you prefer, you can move the Dr Paper folder to your Word My Templates
folder, so that you can create new documents with Dr Paper directly from the Project Gallery.
To do this, copy the Dr Paper folder, and then paste it to this location on your mac:
Username* : Library : Application Support : Microsoft : Office : User Templates : MyTemplates
*To get to the "Username" folder (this is a folder with your name or the name of the primary user of the mac), click the little house icon under Places in Finder: